Black Chasm (5/2-3)
Imagine a day hiking up and over waterfalls in glacially carved chasms, exploring one of the largest gorges in the Catskills while bushwhacking up a deep clove cut in a valley between two mountains. Welcome to Black Chasm. This trip is without equal, simply because it is unique terrain in the Catskills. Your backcountry camp will be filled with the sound of cascades and well tucked away in a secret side clove.
After awaking to birdsong and a hearty breakfast, your second day leads to the tallest falls of all, up to the Devil’s Kitchen and Hell’s Hole at the head of the clove. In the lower reaches of the valley, a keen eye may even spot one or two unfortunate cars that predate the installation of guardrails on the road a thousand feet above.
Destination Backcountry Difference
Exclusive Partnerships: Upstate Adventures Guides trip offered exclusively through Destination Backcountry
All adventures include:
- Transportation from/to New York City with convenient pickup locations near the Barclays Center in Brooklyn and Grand Central in Manhattan
- Group gear and shelter: we’ll handle cooking, safety gear, water treatment and shelter on our adventure so you may pack and travel light
- Breakfast of fresh fruit and donuts and a selection of coffees and teas
- Lunch, dinner, and snacks on our adventure
- Note: we offer vegetarian and vegan options and we’re happy to accommodate any dietary and allergy needs