Escarpment Escape (9/28-29)
Rising abruptly from the Hudson Valley and defining the eastern edge of the Catskills, the Escarpment offers a three thousand foot wall of ledges and cliffs providing jaw dropping views over the valley and, on a clear day, into Massachusetts, Vermont and Connecticut. Although it has been maintained since 1801 as the Escarpment Trail, this footpath has been in use for thousands of years, essentially since humans first set foot in the area.
Our journey begins in the North South Lake area, home to the famed hotels of the Catskills’ Golden era that have long since gone to dust, and continues north to spots like Poet’s Ledge, Artist’s Rock, and Inspiration Point. Perfect views of the brilliant spring sunrise make a great start to our second day as we travel firsthand through the forests, brooks, lakes, and legendary viewpoints that inspired the Hudson River Valley School of Painters and authors like James Fenimore Cooper who brought the Catskills national renown.
Destination Backcountry Difference
Historical & Natural Interpretation: Learn about the human history, ecology and geology that shaped the Catskills from passionate guides eager to share their extensive knowledge
All adventures include:
- Transportation from/to New York City with convenient pickup locations near the Barclays Center in Brooklyn and Grand Central in Manhattan
- Group gear and shelter: we’ll handle cooking, safety gear, water treatment and shelter on our adventure so you may pack and travel light
- Breakfast of fresh fruit and donuts and a selection of coffees and teas
- Gourmet lunch, dinner, and snacks on our adventure
- Note: we offer vegetarian and vegan options and we’re happy to accommodate any dietary and allergy needs