Heart of the Catskills Backpack (5/25-27)
Venture off the grid and deep into the heart of the Slide Mountain Wilderness: an old-growth, primeval forest and one of the most stunning landscapes in the Catskills. Avoid the Memorial Day crowds and spend three days and two nights in a forest that has remained untouched by man since the glaciers retreated 18,000 years ago—possibly the most remote hiking near NYC and in the Catskills.
After a hike in across the Burroughs Range, we'll stop at some favorite summits with incredible views, including Mount Wittenberg. For much of the adventure, we’ll be hiking off-trail, peaking 4-6 summits using map and compass. No previous navigation skills are required. Bonus: hunt for the elusive nodding pogonia wild orchid—this is one of only three places where it blooms!
Destination Backcountry Difference
Experienced Guides, Authentic Experiences: On a Destination Backcountry trip, you’ll never camp next to a busy road or on gravel at a state campground or eat a dehydrated backpacker meal. We offer restorative overnights in deep wilderness for a true backcountry experience where you can find peace, quiet and comfort in nature. We serve delicious, freshly cooked, well-rounded meals that many hikers say is better than what they eat at home.
All adventures include:
- Transportation from/to New York City with convenient pickup locations near the Barclays Center in Brooklyn and Grand Central in Manhattan
- Group gear and shelter: we’ll handle cooking, safety gear, water treatment and shelter on our adventure so you may pack and travel light
- Breakfast of fresh fruit and donuts and a selection of coffees and teas
- Gourmet lunch, dinner, and snacks on our adventure
- Note: we offer vegetarian and vegan options and we’re happy to accommodate any dietary and allergy needs